Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stuffed Felt Car - Take One



Have you ever had one of those great ideas, that's just brilliant - until you realize it's not? That's what happened to me with this little car.


The children have really played a lot with the water bottle dog, I made a while back. It's held together pretty well, considering it's construction paper, and plastic glued, and taped together. But, I thought it might be fun to make something similar, only a bit sturdier. With Christmas vaguely in mind, I decided to try making a stuffed car on wheels.

I found a cute car coloring sheet, and printed it out in a little smaller size, so the wheels were about the same size as a milk cap.



I traced it, and cut it out the pieces to use as a pattern, for cutting the felt.


Once I had the felt arranged the way I wanted it, I hand stitched everything in place, and stuffed the car, thinking that later I could walk the kids through the process. They could certainly hand stitch felt pieces together, maybe this could be something they could make for each other.



Then, I prepared the wheels, the same way I had for the dog, with straws, wooden skewers, and milk caps.




I attached the straws to the bottom of the car with hot glue, and a few stitches.


Then, I added the wooden skewers, and stuck on the milk caps, and felt wheel pieces, hot gluing them in place.


The car rolls really well, and I was pretty happy with it until...


...I looked at it from the front.


But, I can already visualize the next model, and it's brilliant...

It's great to be a homeschooler.

2 comments:

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Very cute! You could call it the transforming car turtle! :) It looks like a car from the side and kinda like a turtle from the front! I still say it's really cute!

Kez said...

I think it's cool anyway :)