Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I Samuel 15 Sunday School Snack - Torn Robes and a Kingdom Torn Away



I took over the preschool Sunday school class, at church, this month, and thought I'd start sharing from time to time some of the snacks, games or crafts that have really worked well with the class.


For instance, when telling the story of Saul's disobedience, and Samuel's message, that the kingdom would be taken from Saul, from I Samuel 15:


22 Samuel replied, “Has the Lord as much pleasure in your burnt offerings and sacrifices as in your obedience? Obedience is far better than sacrifice. He is much more interested in your listening to him than in your offering the fat of rams to him. 23 For rebellion is as bad as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as bad as worshiping idols. And now because you have rejected the word of Jehovah, he has rejected you from being king.”
24 “I have sinned,” Saul finally admitted. “Yes, I have disobeyed your instructions and the command of the Lord, for I was afraid of the people and did what they demanded. 25 Oh, please pardon my sin now and go with me to worship the Lord.”
26 But Samuel replied, “It’s no use! Since you have rejected the commandment of the Lord, he has rejected you from being the king of Israel.”
27 As Samuel turned to go, Saul grabbed at him to try to hold him back and tore his robe.
28 And Samuel said to him, “See? The Lord has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today and has given it to a countryman of yours who is better than you are. 29 And he who is the glory of Israel is not lying, nor will he change his mind, for he is not a man!”


I found a fruit roll-up cut, with kitchen scissors, into the shape of a robe (or long shirt) worked very nicely for a visual aid, and snack.

I used one during the story, unrolling it while I was telling the story, and tearing it (as dramatically as possible) when I reached the part about Saul grabbing hold of Samuel's robe and tearing it - just as the kingdom would be torn from Saul's family.

Then, I passed out baggies with pre-cut, and re-rolled robes for the children to use to retell the story to me, as I helped them to unroll, and peel the fruit snacks from the paper, before they (also very dramatically) tore off pieces from the robes to eat.



4 comments:

Camie said...

Clever! What a fun age group to teach.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I bet you will be a great preschool Sunday School teacher. A yummy lesson too!

Ticia said...

I will be a very very happy camper if you share your snacks and crafts, I'm ALWAYS looking for more ideas to pin to my boards.

MaryAnne said...

This is a fun visual!